Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- Notification No.LJ(A)89/2021/156 Dated Shillong the 3rd November, 2023 - Transfer of Smti Betbhalin War, Asst. Public Prosecutor/Asst. Govt. Pleader, Ri-Bhoi, Nongpoh to Shillong as Asst. Public Prosecutor/Asst. Govt. Pleader, District Council Court, Shillong with headquarter at Sohra w.e.f 29.06.2022 and until further orders.
- Notification No.LJ(B)65/2012/68 Dated Shillong the 27th October, 2023 - Appointment of the following officers to be the Additional District Magistrate and Executive Magistrate within East Jaintia Hills District with effect from the date of notification until further orders:-
- Notification No.LJ(A)85/Pt.II/96 Dated Shillong the 25th October, 2023 - Please read "Civil Judge (Senior Division)" instead of "Civil Judge" as appeared in 'Schedule - A' under the column 'Name & Posts' of GRADE - II of this Department's Notification No. LJ (A) 23/8S/Pt.II194 dt. 13th September, 2023.
- Notification No.LL(B)75/2011/57 Dated Shillong the 19th October, 2023 - Captain Williamson Sangma Technician (Amendment) Act, 2023 (Act No.12 of 2023) is hereby published for general information.
- Notification No.LJ(A)83/2021/224 Dated Shillong the 13th October, 2023 - Appointment of Shri Nicanur M. Sangma, Advocate as the Public Prosecutor/Govt. Pleader,South Garo Hills District, Baghmara with immediate effect and until further orders.
- Notification No.LJ(B)48/2020/118 Dated Shillong, the 15th September, 2023 - Appointment of Shri B.Kharchandy, MCS, as the Additional District Magistrate within East Khasi Hills District with immediate effect until further orders.