Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- Notification No.LJ(B)68/2012/53 Dated Shillong, the 3rd August,2022 - Appointment of Shri Labiangbha P. Tariang. Additional Deputy Commissioners as the Additional District Magistrate within South West Khasi Hills with immediate effect until further orders-
- Notification No.LJ(A)2/2020/82 Dated Shillong, the 2nd August,2022 - The Governor of Meghalaya, in consultation with the High Court of Meghalaya, is pleased to make the following rules further to amend the Meghalaya District Courts (Ministerial) Service Rules, 2020 hereinafter referred to as the principal rules,namely:-.
- Notification No.LJ(A)75/2022/48 Dated Shillong, the 26th July,2022 - The Government of Meghalaya, with concurrence of the High Court of Meghalaya is pleased to constitute Special Courts in all Districts for the purpose of providing speedy trial of offences for contravention of the provisions of sub section (1) or sub section (1A) of section 4 of the said Act.
- Notification No.LL(B)99/2011/Part/218.- The National Law University of Meghalaya Ordinance, 2022 (Ordinance No.6 of 2022) is hereby published for general information.
- Notification No.LJ(A)83/2021/169 Dated Shillong the 12th July,2022 - Changing of the headquarter of Shri Jullius R. Marak, Asst. Public Prosecutor/Asst. Govt. Pleader, North Garo Hills,Resubelpara from Resubelpara to Williamnagar.
- Notification No.LJ(A)83/2021/168 Dated Shillong the 12th July,2022 - Appointment of Shri Tengsrang M. Sangma, Advocate as Public Prosecutor / Govt. Pleader in District Court, Tura with headquarter at Tura, with immediate effect and until further orders.