Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- I/D.No.LL(B).146/2010/263 Dated Shillong 16th May 2018 - Meghalaya Police (Amendment) Act, 2018 (Act No. 5 of 2018).
- I/D.No.LL(B).47/2010/129 Dated Shillong 16th May 2018 - University of Technology and Management (Amendment) Act, 2018 (Act No. 4 of 2018).
- I/D.No.LL(B).14/2015/297 Dated Shillong 14th May 2018 - Meghalaya Appropriation (No.II) Act, 2018 (Act No.1 of 2018).
- Notification No.LL(B).75/2015/136 Dated Shillong,the 14th May, 2018 - The Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance No. 2 2018.
- Notification No.LJ (B).1/2018/33 -Dated Shillong the 9th May, 2018 - Appointment of the following Non-MCS Officers as Executive Magistrates in connection the monitoring of the movement of coal transportation for strict implementation as per National Green Tribunal (NGT) Order....