Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- LL(B)28/2017/Part/312 Dated Shillong ,the 24th July 2017 Meghalaya Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (Act.No.10 of 2017) for information and necessary action.
- LJ(A) 51/2017/42 Dated Shillong, the 18th July,2017 Appointment of Shri. C.D.Sangma, Adv. as Special Public Prosecutor on recommendation of the District Magistrate after consultation with the District & Session Judge concerned with immediate effect until further order.
- LJ(A)3/2014/Pt./11 Dated Shillong the 13th July 2017 Appointment of Smti.S.D.Sangma for East Garo Hills Williamnagar as the Special Public Prosecutor fro the purpose of the aforesaid Act with immediate effect and until further orders.
- No.LL(B).39/2017/40 Dated Shillong the 4th July 2017 Resolution on the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Regulation of Livestock Markets) Rules,2017.
- No.LJ(A) 77/2000/Pt/244 Dated Shillong the 30th June,2017 Appointment of Shri.Kerbor J.Lyngdoh, Judicial Officer, as the Assistant to Deputy Commissioner, West Jaintia Hills District.