Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- Notification No.LJ(A) 86/2021/62 Dated Shillong, the 27th April, 2022 - Appointment of Shri Markos Surong, Advocate as the Public Prosecutor/Govt.Pleader, in the District Council Court, Jowai with immmediate effect and until further orders.
- Notification No.LL(B).68/2012/51 Dated Shillong the 21st April, 2022 - Appointment Shri Aldrin L. Bareh, MCS, EAC as the Executive Magistrate within Ranikor Civil Sub-Division with immediate effect until further orders.
- Notification No.LJ(B).68/2012/49 - Dated Shillong , the 13th April, 2022 - Appointment of Shri Steveford Marwein, MCS, Extra Assistant Commissioner as the Executive Magistrate within South West Khasi Hills District with immediate effect until further orders.
- Notification No.LJ(B).1/2018/111 - Dated Shillong, the 12th April, 2022 - Appointment of the following Non-MCS Officers as Executive Magistrates in connection with the monitoring of the movement of coal transportation for strict implementation of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) Order for a period of 3 (three) months or until further orders:
- Notificaton No.LJ(B)48/2020/29 - Dated Shillong the 1st April, 2022 - Appointment of Shri. Keith T. Nongsteng, MCS, as the Executive Magistrate within East Khasi District, Shillong with immediate effect until further orders.
- Notification No.LL(B).151/80/Pt/182 - Dated Shillong the 30th March, 2022 - The Meghalaya State Agricultural Produce and Livestock Marketing (Promotion and Facilitaton)(Amendment) Act, 2022 (Act No.7 of 2022) is hereby published for general information.