Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- LR (A) 32/92/Pt.IV/9-Dated Shillong, the 14th November,2017 Appointment of Shri. Khalid Khan as Sr. Govt.Advocate (In-charge) in the High Court of Meghalaya and to assist the Advocate General and the Additional Advocate General with effect from the date of joining till the time a regular Senior Government Advocate is appointed.
- LR(A)32/92//Pt.III/452 Dated Shillong the , 6th November, 2107 - CORRIGENDUM to letter No.LR (A)32/92/Pt.III/442 dt.28.07.2017.
- LJ(A)13/2017/Pt./43 - Dated Shillong the 1st November 2017 - Appointment of Shri. Chanakya Chettri, Advocate as Special Public Prosecutor for West Garo Hills,South Garo Hills and South West Garo Hills for the purpose of the aforesaid Act with immediate effect until further orders.
- I/D.No.LL(B).148/85/Pt/17 Dated Shillong, the 30th October, 2017 - The Legislative Assembly of Meghalaya (Member's Salaries and Allowances)(Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 (Ordinance No.2 of 2017).
- LJ(A)77/2000/Pt/245 Dated, Shillong the 11th October,2017 - CORRIGENDUM - to Notification No.LJ(A)77/2000/Pt/243 dated 30-06-2017.