Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- Notification No. LR(A)32/92/PT.IV/251 - Dated Shillong the 10th November,2020 - Appointment of Smti Shimnika Dkhar,Advocate as Special Public Prosecutor under sub-section (1) of Section of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 for East Khasi Hills,Khliehriat with immediate effect and until further orders.
- Notification No.LJ(B).1/2018/85 Dated Shillong, the 27th October,2020 - Appointment of the following Non-MCS Officers as Executive Magistrates in connection with the monitoring ofillegal transportation of coal as per Supreme Court/National Green Tribunal (NGT)/Government Orders..
- Notification No.LJ(B).69/2012/53 Dated Shillong, the 22nd October,2020 - Appointment of Shri Malthus S. Sangma, MCS, Additional Deputy Commissioner, East Jaintia Hills District as the Additional District Magistrate within East Jaintia Hills District with immediate effect and till he holds the said post.
- Notification No.LJ(B).1/2018/80. Dated 20th October,2020 - Appointment of the following Non-MCS Officers as Executive Magistrates in connection with monitoring of illegal transportation of coal as per Supreme Court/National Green Tribunal (NGT)/Government Orders for a period of 3 (three) months ro until further orders.
- Notification No.LJ(A)33/2006-Pt I/39 Dated Shillong the 9th October,2020 - Smti. M.M.Sangma Jt. Secretary to the Govt. of Meghalaya, Law Department in addtion to her own duties is temporarily allowed to hold charge of the Office of Secretary,Meghalaya State Law Commission, Shillong..
- Notification No.LJ(B).53/93/Pt/110 Dated Shillong the 5th October,2020 - Appointment of the following Officer as Executive Magistrate in the interest of Public Services within Pynursla Civil Sub-Division, East Khasi Hills District with immediate effect and until further orders:-