Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- LR(A)32/92/Pt.IV/12 Dated Shillong,the 18th January,2018 - Appointment of the following Adv. as Asstt. Govt. Pleader/Asstt. Public Prosecutor, East Garo Hills , Williamnagar with immediate effect and till 30th June, 2018 or until further order whechever is earlier.
- LJ(B)53/93/462 Dated Shillong, the 18th January, 2018 - Appointment of Smti. Balakyntiew Ranee, MCS as Executive Magistrate in the interest of Public Services within East Khasi Hills District with immediate effect and till she holds the said post.
- LJ(B)53/93/461 Dated Shillong, the 18th January, 2018 - Appointment of Shri. L.T.Tariang, MCS as Executive Magistrate in the interest of Public Services within East Khasi Hills District with immediate effect and till he holds the said post.
- LJ(B).1/2018/11 Dated Shillong, the 16th January, 2018 - Appointment of the following Non-MCS Officers as Executive Magistrates in connection the monitoring of the movement of coal transportation for strict implementation as per National Green Tribunal (NGT) order.
- LJ(B)30/2008/Pt/207 Dated Shillong the 11th January 2018 - Resignation dated 08.12.2017 submitted by Shri. Sumis N.Marak, Notary, West Khasi Hills District, Nongstoin with effect from 08.12.2017.