Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- Notification No.LJ(B).69/2012/46 Dated Shillong the 9th August,2018 - Appointment the following Non-MCS Officers as Executive Magistrates in connection with the illegal transportation of coal including mining as per National Green Tribunal (NGT) Order..
- I/D.No.LL(B).92/2008/33 Dated Shillong, the 6th August, 2018 - The Meghalaya Passengers and Goods Taxation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018 (Ordinance No.2 of 2018).
- I/D.No.LL(B).54/2017/34 Dated Shillong, the 6th August, 2018 - The Meghalaya Regulation of the Game of Arrow Shooting and the Sale of Teer Tickets Ordinance, 2018 (Ordinance No.1 of 2018).
- Notification No.LJ (B)4/2018/113 Dated Shillong, the 3rd August, 2018 - Appointment with immediate effect the following Officers as executive Magistrates and further under sub-section(2) thereof, as Sector/Zonal Magistrates for the conduct of the Bye-Election to the Legislative Assembly..
- Notification No.LJ(B)4/2018/110 Dated Shillong the 26th July,2018 - Appointment of the following Officer as Executive Magistrate and further under sub-section (2) thereof, as Static Surveillance Team, Flying Squad in connection with the forthcoming Bye-Election to the 51- Tura (ST) Assembly Constituency...