Law Department basically deals with all legal matters concerning the State Government. It is entrusted with drafting, legislation, advice on legal matters to Government Departments and publication of Bills and Acts, and vetting of statutory notifications, rules, bye-laws of the various administrative Departments of the Government of Meghalaya. The Officers of the Law Department are borne from the Meghalaya Legal Service and the ministerial staff belongs to the Meghalaya Secretariat Service.
The business of the Government of Meghalaya is transacted in accordance with the Rules of Executive Business of the Government of the State of Meghalaya. These rules have been framed under clause (2) and (3) of Article 166 of the Constitution of India.
- I/D.No.LL.(B)78/2017/42 Dated Shillong the 12th June,2018 - Meghalaya Higher Education Council Act,2018 (Act No.3 of 2018).
- Notification No.LJ(A)28/2001/Pt.I/327 Dated Shillong the 5th June,2018 - Appointment of Shri. Pyllang Nongbri, Adv,Meghalaya High Court, Shillong as the Member of the Meghalaya State Law Commission...
- Notification No.LJ(A)28/2001/Pt.I/326 Dated Shillong the 5th June,2018 - Appointment of Shri. Hamarsan Singh Thangkhiew, Sr. Adv, Meghalaya High Court, Shillong to the post of Vice-Chairman of the Meghalaya State Law Commission....
- I/D No.LL(B)14/2015/260 Dated Shillong the 31st May, 2018 - Meghalaya Appropriation (No.II) Act,2018 (Act No.6 of 2018) for favour of information and necessary action.
- Notification I/D.No.LL(B).14/2015/Part/68 Dated Shillong, the 25th May, 2018 - Meghalaya Appropriation (Vote-on-Account) Act, 2018 (Act No.2 of 2018).